Monday 27 July 2015

Brighton Eats July 2015

Last weekend we went down to Brighton for a long weekend break. Brighton for me is up there with Camden, I love both of them so much. Brighton is also amazing for every special diet. I have my favourite places to visit down in Brighton but this trip I decided to try and visit some new places that we'd never eaten at before. We were very successful. 


42 Juice fast became our breakfast stop off. It was right outside our hotel so each morning we stopped for a smoothie or juice. 


They sell a great selection of nut milks, juices and other healthy snacks. 


First morning I had an "I am Temptation" which is Cashew Milk, Raw Cacao, Banana, Dates, Walnut, Lucuma and Cacao Nibs. It was delicious. 


The next morning I picked up a Watermelon Juice which was lovely and refreshing with a nice touch of mint.
I also got a Cashew Milk. Cashews are one of my favourite nuts and it makes a change to see cashew milk rather than Almond milk or coconut milk which I can't tolerate. It was really tasty. There's something to be said for hand made milks.


We were in the lanes all morning browsing the shops so for lunch we stopped at Hen which is at the very top of the North Lanes. Really nice trendy restaurant that sells Chicken in various ways.


I had quarter grilled chicken with sweet potato fries. The chicken was lovely and juicy but the fries stole the show. They were amazing. Never thought of combining dill with sweet potato but it went so so well. All the sauces were gf and df too which was good. Very helpful friendly staff too. I'll definitely go again if we're in Brighton. If you are just gluten free they do gf waffles too. Unfortunately not dairy or egg free though.


I'm really loving loose leaf teas at the moment since being introduced to them in Alnwick earlier in the year. The Blue Bird Tea Co has a massive selection of tea combinations. The girl in the shop was really friendly and helped me pick out some great flavours. 


While there I also brought a cold brew tea bottle to make tea and store in the fridge so I can have iced tea whenever I want. I got some teas specifically because I thought they'd made good cold brew flavours but I also got a nice peppermint cream to have hot and a lavender sleepy tea. They sell online too. 


One place I have to visit each time I'm in Brighton is Boho Gelato. They always have a selection of vegan gelato and most are also gf. I was happy to see grape flavour in the cabinet. It was so nice. Yum! 


We met up with some friends for our evening meal. Knowing they love Japan we chose to book Moshimo which is a Japanese and sushi restaurant. It was right outside our hotel so didn't have to walk far. At night all the front is open with seating outside too. 


The waitress gave me a full allergen folder to help me make my choice. She also pointed out that things could be adapted, the tempura could be made with corn flour and the sushi selections could be made to suit my diet. I fancied trying a Sashimi selection which came with rice and miso soup. We also shared some edamame. The Moshimo mojito was lovely too. 


The following day I really wanted to visit a chip shop in Hove that I'd seen people raving about. It was a bit of a walk from where we were staying so we thought it would be fun to hire a bike and cycle along the seafront to Hove. 


Wolfies of Hove have gluten free batter every day which is also dairy and egg free. You don't need to preorder you can just turn up. Our fish & chips didn't take long to arrive and the servers were all really friendly. We jumped back on our bikes and took our fish & chips down to the seafront to eat. 

The fish was lovely and I enjoyed the batter. The chips were great too. They only use gluten free vinegar so you don't have to worry about that either. They have everything covered for a delicious safe fish & chips. Yum!! It was worth hiring the bikes for. (The ride up to Hove is really enjoyable too. We hired our bikes from the bike rental near Brighton pier).


Sunday evening we planned to get a pizza to take to the beach while the sun set. Another place i'd heard was great was Morelli Zorelli. They are based on Western Road but also do deliveries so we had our pizzas delivered to the hotel. 


They use Venice Bakery pizza bases which are the best in my option. I had the Wild Boar Pizza with wild boar prosciutto, smoked pancetta, roasted vine tomatoes and I had vegan mozzarella. It was really enjoyable and it's great that they cater really well for gluten free and Vegan diets. They have great menus showing all options on their website. http://www.morellizorelli.co.uk



Monday before we traveled back home we took the opportunity to eat at Fishy Fishy 
(Dermot O'leary co owns the restaurant) as the weekend crowds had died down. 


I only wanted a light lunch so I had the Lean Green Salad (minus Parmesan) with a balsamic dressing and added prawns. It was simple but I enjoyed it. I was tempted by the Rosemary Salted Chips as they were cooked separately but I resisted. 


Before leaving Brighton I wanted to call into Eat Naked as I'd been following their Instagram and loving all the creations. Eat Naked is owned by Stacie Stewart (Masterchef finalist & TV Baker). It was nice to chat to her in the shop about when she judged my baking at a local food festival. 


I picked a salad box with rice, greens, courgetti with a avocado mint sauce and grilled chicken. It was really tasty and really makes me want to make more clean meals. She also makes raw sweet treats and juices.


Another place I popped into before leaving was Infinity Foods supermarket. It is a free from heaven. I picked up a few bits. I love Ten Acre crisps, the cheese & onion and chicken flavours are amazing. I got a few drinks as I love the pomegranate & green tea but don't get it near me. My husband wanted the Raw Chocolate Company treats which he enjoyed. I had the Cleo's and Twilight bar which are both really good. Got some squirty cream for hot chocolates and finally a fresh baked Foccacia and White Chocolate Cranberry muffin which were both really nice. 


I've got to add that all of the restaurants I emailed or tweeted were all great and answered my questions which is always good. Thanks!



So we had an amazing weekend in Brighton and successfully tried lots of new places. I will always recommend Brighton to people, not only for its food options but it is a fantastic place with so much to see and do. Go visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment